Monday, May 7, 2012

Did men have long hair in the 1950's at all?

I am looking for any examples of men with long hair in the 1950's. Who were they, what did they do for a living ect.



Did men have long hair in the 1950's at all?

The "long" style was the popular duck cut where hair was worn usually by teenagers or in twenties. It was usually combed from front to back in a Pompadour style or pulled to forehead from the crown to make a curl. The duck-tail was formed by combing the sides to the back (which was quite short) and then formed into a "duck tail" at the back and nap of the neck. Mostly buzz cut and crew cuts were worn and the side-burn style didn't come in until the mid to later 50's - Thanks to Elvis! If you are looking for a pictorial example, watch the movie GREASE. Very authenic looking styles. Occupation had very little to do with a particular style that I know of. I was there!



Did men have long hair in the 1950's at all?

All I can remember of men with long with long hair back then were Native Americans and biker gangs. The Hell's Angels were famous back then too.



Did men have long hair in the 1950's at all?

I was 22 when married in 1957. It was crew cuts and flat tops. I never knew or seen men with long hair. I was raised in a town with a population of 9,000. I later moved to a city with 180,000. I didn't see long hair there either. In 1976 my 12 year old son begin to wear his hair somewhat longer, Now he is stuck with the long hair, He is the type that can't give in to what is in now. I use to tell him his long hair would stop him from getting a good job and he proved me wrong. He is a supervisor and make over 100,000 a year. But I still wish he would cut his hair. His persona overrides his long hair.



Did men have long hair in the 1950's at all?

The hippie movement in America started about 1960 and lasted about twenty years, women threw away their bras and practiced free love. Men burned their draft cards, allowed their hair to grow long and wore funky clothes. Men and women strummed guitars, sang and drove garishly decorated V/W vans. They dropped out of mainstream society turned on with LSD and Marijuana. If you are a young person, look around you, ask your parents, teachers or any other middle aged person that you view as a role model and ask them if they were hippys. They are like closeted gay people, all around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment